• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes on the back

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been diagnosed with shingles. I am traveling. The rash on the right side of my back has almost gone. Now for the last week I have pain and my skin is sore to touch on the right side of my stomach. I have been taking Famciclovir 500 mg three times a day plus Acetaminophen for pain. Initial out break was about a month ago. Is this normal ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can persist for a long period of time

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Unfortunately the pain related to shingles can persist for a long time. In some persons, it can become a chronic source of pain.

It can, unfortunately last weeks to months to years in some.

The pain is considered neurological in origin, this virus causes nerve related pain.

This means that you may want to consider medication that is used for nerve related pain to see if any of these would give you pain relief
Eg amitriptyline, nortriptyline, tegretol, cymbalta, gabapentin, lyrica

These medications all have different uses including treating nerve pain.

There is a shingles vaccine that you can also consider, it may help to prevent future outbreaks

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James