Suggest treatment for rashes on scrotum

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor,
Recently I had to go to another city and it was a short trip but it had to be extended for a week. I had to reuse my garments the whole week. I had unprotected sex with a lady the night before I started( have had unprotected sex with the same lady earlier too). I used someone else's towel after taking a bath. I rode back to my city in heavy rains.
After I reached home, a day later, I started noticing red itchy rashes on my inner thigh and scrotum looked blazing red. However, the penis head looks clean. I took few antibiotics and clotrimazole cream as per my doctors advice. The rash has gone down now but the doc asked me to go for an STD test. I have had unprotected sex with close to 14 women but never paid for sex or have never had sex with sexworkers in my life.
I do not have any swolen lymph nodes. What are the chances of my test to be positive?
Please help. I am losing sleep over this.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Getting tested never means positive status.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the rash over the affected area.

After analyzing the complete query I can make out that you do have fungal infection of the affected area.

Your doctor has given you correct treatment. I suggest you to follow the same as guided by your doctor.

For the part of Sexually transmitted infections: it does no appear from your symptoms that you have any of the major or minor Sexually transmitted infections.

Sexually transmitted diseases generally manifest in form of a discharge or blisters or ulcers or at the minimal some redness over the penile area.

You don't have such kind of symptoms so in my view you appear to be free from the same.

For re part of HIV infection also as you have not had any of your contact with sex worker so possibility is least.

Your doctor must have had asked you in a general manner to just clear any doubts. I do ask my patients as a routine part to clear for major STDs.

I reassure you that getting tested never means positive status. Allay all fear and don't worry.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY & Sexually transmitted diseases
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 days later
Hello doc,
I got my report today. It turned out to be a negative for hiv 1 and 2, clamydia; however, the report said tpha is weakly reactive. I was on antibiotics during the blood test will that affect the test in any way? Can you please explain.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FTA- ABS is the gold standard for syphilis.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your follow up.

I happy to know that your tests are negative for HIV and chlamydia.

Regarding weakly reactive TPHA: It could be false positive result also. As it is not stronglyiso I suggest you to go repeat TPHA or you can also go for FTA-ABS (Fluoroscent Treponemal antibody) test.

FTA-ABS is a more specific test than TPHA so you can ask your doctor to go for the same. FTA- ABS is the gold standard for syphilis.

Don't worry you are clean and FTA-ABS will confirm the same.

I hope it helps.

With regards,