question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes on abdomen and eyelid

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015
Question: My daughter who's away at College is 20 yrs old. Called me and stated she has developed a skin rash over different parts of her including on her belly,and eye lid, described as redish appearance with white pimples on it. She has some chest pain in the center of her chest which is constant and started along with this rash over the past 48 hrs. She thinks it could be related to food allergy because it also happened before and it went away on its own. Please state your possible diagnosis and what should she do at this hour of the night apart from taking and applying Benedryl? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction to perfume, deo, food item, drug; seborrhoeic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I can understand your concern.
According to your history there are few possibilities: either an allergic reaction to anything she has used on her body like perfume, deodorant or any new clothing, it can even be allergic reaction to any food item.
Other thing is she might have developed seborrhoeic dermatitis which is usually associated with dandruff of the scalp.
Is there any history of drug intake for some other ailment as it can be a drug reaction also.
I would suggest you to upload her photographs as it will give a clearer picture of the condition and I will be able to guide you better.
If I was her treating doctor I would have suggested her to apply cortisone cream in moisturising lotion to the affected parts of the body along with taking benedryl.
I hope to have answered your query.
I would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist