Suggest treatment for rashes around a catheterization site

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: This past monday i had a cardiac catherization thru the left wrist and on wednsdy i had hip surgery. A rash developed below the catheration site. What is it?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that this could be caused by two different causes:

1- an allergic reaction related to the local bandage.

2- a local infection.

I recommend you consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam. A complete blood count and inflammation tests may be needed if suspicions of an infection are raised.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Have u seen this type of outbreak before? Tomorrow i am going to push the issue. So far i have just heard "i dont know what it is but i dont think it is anything"
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I have seen similar images before.

They can be related to an allergic reaction. A skin infection is less possible.

Another possibility to consider would be a subcutaneous hematoma.

The later is more probable, because you have undergone surgery twice and have been treated with anticoagulants, which increase the risk for local bleeding.

In such case it will probably resolve spontaneously in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I agree with your doctor that it does not seem anything serious as it is just a local rash, it does not itch and you have no symptoms like fever (which would indicate an infection or allergy).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri