Suggest treatment for rashes and bumps around the vagina

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Sat, 7 May 2016 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: 44 y/o female. I have red itching rash with small bumps around my vagina, not inside. no discharge. scared it may be STD but doesn't look necessarily like anything I've searched (ie herpes mainly)
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible STD should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you. I have reviewed attached image.

According to your information, itching rash with small bumps near vagina may be related to hair folliculitis (small painless pimple around hair follicle of genital area), yeast infection or dermatitis (from bath product).

Genital herpes (if painful bumps) and Molluscum (sometimes itch but not painful) should be ruled out in this context if you are sexually active currently.

Here, I suggest to consult with dermatologist for complete clinical examination. You may need to undergo one blood test for STD profile and urine examination- routine and microscopy to rule out asymptomatic STDs (if any).

Treatments depends on underlying causative factor. You may need to take proper anti microbial drug therapy and maintain genital hygiene. Practice protected sex with condom in future.

Hope I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee