Suggest treatment for rash on upper thigh

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a rash.--or a lesion on my upper right thigh. My GP thought that it might be a lesion. He sent me to my dermatologist and he hadn't seen anything like this before. He asked if I'd changed or added new prescriptions, but I haven't. I also haven't changed laundry detergent or fabric softener. He asked if I had been bitten by a bug, and I said that I didn't think so. A nurse friend thought that it looked like I'd been bitten and that I was possibly allergic to it. I first noticed this when it was six small red dots on my upper thigh yesterday about 3:00pm. It was about 4:00pm today when the dermatologist looked at it and drew around it with a marker. I have an appointment with him tomorrow so that he can see how it is progressing. I was afraid that it might have been Lyme disease last night, so I went to this site and told the doctor that the spots all had clear centers. He wrote back and told me that it wasn't Lyme disease. We're all stumped here, and I thought since it had changed a lot since then, I'd write you again with the new symptoms and try to send a picture. You probably won't be able to see that the centers are still there , even if you get the picture. The dermatologist said that this was not XXXXXXX XXXXXXX syndrome--thought you might like to know that. Thanks in advance for answering this. XXXX 0000
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an Image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

I request you kindly upload a clear Image of the affected area so that I am able to guide you better. You may upload an Image either at "Reports Section"

Or

You may mail me an Image at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of the mail as Attn:Dr.Kakkar.

Also let me know do you have any symptoms associated like pain? itching? burning sensation etc?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 47 minutes later
Dear Dr. Kakkar, I do have itching, some pain--like my skin is being stretched, although it is not swelling. and it's not a burning , but it just feels angry--not sure how else to put it. The dermatologist took 3 biopsies. Thanks for answering so quickly
picture uploaded
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suspected Lyme disease Or Hypersensitivity to Arthropod bite

Detailed Answer:
Hi. I have reviewed the Images.

I can see multiple annular/ ring shaped lesions with central clearing and central necrosis.
Erythema migrans is definitely a 'suspected' possibility here.
The morphology of lesions, location and progressively increase in size of lesions to form annular patches makes me suspect lyme disease even though you are not sure about the tick bites.
Is lyme disease endemic in your area? Or did you visit a place where it is?
Is there a history of being to woody, brushy, grassy area recently (past 30 days)?
Do you have any systemic symptoms like malaise, fatigue, joint pains?
Unfortunately at an early stage circulating antibodies wont be there. They usually appear 3-6 weeks later.

Another possibility is an insect bite hypersensitivity.