Suggest treatment for rash on penis head

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a small red rash under the head of my penis for at least 5 months. Dr gave me antifungal. Didn't work. Then a steroid cream didn't work. After use of the steroid for one week looked better. Sex with wife and now it burns constantly for last 4 days. During this time period I was treated for jock itch. Cleared up in groin. Treated for infected hair follicles on legs although I didn't see it. Dr said she did. I also developed a hemorrhoid during this time. Took a month but went away.

Now I am left with a sore penis and itchy buttocks legs and scrotum.

Please help!! This is destroying my life.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload photograph

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr kakkar. I have gone through your query.

You seem to have 2 issues
1. Rash on penis
2. Jock itch which seems to have recurred

I would be in a better position to help you if you can upload clear digital photographs of the area of concern

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
See attached pics. I loaded them via update reports

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scrotal dermatitis+Fungal infection(groin)

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for the pictures. I could see that you have a mild from of dermatitis involving the underside glans penis/penile shaft and scrotal skin+fungal infection of the groin area. I can also see a few stretch marks in the groin folds (from previous steroid use).

The rash on penis and scrotum is common in those individuals who are atopic/allergic and have a dry skin in this area. Use of soaps, harsh cleansers, antiseptics etc in this area is sometimes responsible for exacerbating or initiating the rash.
I would suggest you to avoid all soaps, antiseptics like dettol etc in this area. You may use a gentle soap for the groin and scrotum and nothing except plain water for the glans penis.

I would suggest you to use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g fluticasone propionate (flutivate cream), twice daily, for the rash on penis and scrotum.

In groin I would suggest you to use a plain antifungal (devoid of steroid or containing a mild steroid e.g beclomethasone) e.g clotrin-B cream, twice daily for 2-4 weeks.
Simultaneously I would also like to put you on oral antifungals e.g fluconazole 150 mg tab. (Flucos 150 mg tab)once every week for 4-6 weeks.
An OTC antihistamine e,g cetrizine 10 mg once daily in the evening would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Is there anyway this could be an STI of any kind? That possibility is freaking me out.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not an STD

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No, it is not an STD.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
You would recommend a steroid for the rash on the penis even after it had created a burning sensation? To be clear after a week of using it I began to feel a burn. It got much worse immediately after sex with wife. Thank you for the follow up
Brief Answer:
Use topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Once the skin gets irritated even plain water would cause a burning sensation over it, leave alone a cream.

Yes, I would suggest using a topical steroid in that area to calm down the irritation and redness. I would recommend a moderately potent steroid e.g fluticasone propionate (Flutivate cream), twice daily for 2 weeks. The steroid would take care of the irritation.

Steroid cream did it make it better previously but since you used it for just a week, it may have not have subsided completely. Furthermore the steroid that you used may have been a milder one.

Avoid using any soaps, harsh cleansers, antiseptics etc in that region.

Avoid sexual contact till it fully subsides.