Suggest treatment for rash on penis head

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have had a small red rash under the head of my penis for at least 5 months. Dr gave me antifungal. Didn't work. Then a steroid cream didn't work. After use of the steroid for one week looked better. Sex with wife and now it burns constantly for last 4 days. During this time period I was treated for jock itch. Cleared up in groin. Treated for infected hair follicles on legs although I didn't see it. Dr said she did. I also developed a hemorrhoid during this time. Took a month but went away.

Now I am left with a sore penis and itchy buttocks legs and scrotum.

Please help!! This is destroying my life.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload photograph

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr kakkar. I have gone through your query.

You seem to have 2 issues
1. Rash on penis
2. Jock itch which seems to have recurred

I would be in a better position to help you if you can upload clear digital photographs of the area of concern

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for rash on penis head 3 hours later
See attached pics. I loaded them via update reports

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scrotal dermatitis+Fungal infection(groin)

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for the pictures. I could see that you have a mild from of dermatitis involving the underside glans penis/penile shaft and scrotal skin+fungal infection of the groin area. I can also see a few stretch marks in the groin folds (from previous steroid use).

The rash on penis and scrotum is common in those individuals who are atopic/allergic and have a dry skin in this area. Use of soaps, harsh cleansers, antiseptics etc in this area is sometimes responsible for exacerbating or initiating the rash.
I would suggest you to avoid all soaps, antiseptics like dettol etc in this area. You may use a gentle soap for the groin and scrotum and nothing except plain water for the glans penis.

I would suggest you to use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g fluticasone propionate (flutivate cream), twice daily, for the rash on penis and scrotum.

In groin I would suggest you to use a plain antifungal (devoid of steroid or containing a mild steroid e.g beclomethasone) e.g clotrin-B cream, twice daily for 2-4 weeks.
Simultaneously I would also like to put you on oral antifungals e.g fluconazole 150 mg tab. (Flucos 150 mg tab)once every week for 4-6 weeks.
An OTC antihistamine e,g cetrizine 10 mg once daily in the evening would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for rash on penis head 1 hour later
Is there anyway this could be an STI of any kind? That possibility is freaking me out.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not an STD

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No, it is not an STD.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for rash on penis head 12 hours later
You would recommend a steroid for the rash on the penis even after it had created a burning sensation? To be clear after a week of using it I began to feel a burn. It got much worse immediately after sex with wife. Thank you for the follow up

Brief Answer:
Use topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Once the skin gets irritated even plain water would cause a burning sensation over it, leave alone a cream.

Yes, I would suggest using a topical steroid in that area to calm down the irritation and redness. I would recommend a moderately potent steroid e.g fluticasone propionate (Flutivate cream), twice daily for 2 weeks. The steroid would take care of the irritation.

Steroid cream did it make it better previously but since you used it for just a week, it may have not have subsided completely. Furthermore the steroid that you used may have been a milder one.

Avoid using any soaps, harsh cleansers, antiseptics etc in that region.

Avoid sexual contact till it fully subsides.