Suggest treatment for rash caused by using Septra

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What can be use to help with a rash cause by using septra
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please report to your doctor or an ER asap

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Septra (with the active ingredients trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole) can have various side effects out of which a rash is one of them. Many medications can have a rash as a side effect, and in most cases we just discontinue the medication and help promote rapid excretion of the medication from the individuals body. But with septra we have found that the rash is just a warning sign of more serious side effects to come, which can prove to be potentially dangerous (not always, but why risk taking a chance). I would thus strongly urge you to report to your prescribing doctor ma'am.

It goes without saying, please discontinue the medication. Please also drink plenty of water and if your doctor is not available, please report to an emergency room (ER) at the earliest as I do not wish for you to wait or take a chance ma'am.

Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.