Suggest treatment for rash around mouth and nose in children

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I have an 8 yr old and a 3 yr. old, they both get a rash around their mouths and under their nose. I took them the dermatologist and he told me it was acne! He came me cream that made it 100 times worse. I had some cream called Elocon that I had left over from when the 8 yr old had a touch of eczema. It works great but we have to use it daily. What is this? and what can we do to treat it? special soaps? something?
Thanks
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
"Atopic dermatitis" or simple "contact dermatitis"

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the skin problem in both of your kids.

I have gone through your complete query and analyzed the picture with diligence. After analyzing the complete situation and the picture it appears to be "Atopic dermatitis" or simple "contact dermatitis".

It is not at all acne so do not use any anti-acne preparation.

TO tell you medically about Atopic dermatitis: it is a mild eczema like condition in children and toddlers due to an internal tendency. This internal tendency of reaction can be because of change of weather, dryness, allergy to synthetic clothes or anything coming in contact with skin.

Most commonly it can be present over face but other than that it can be present on other sites such as folds of neck, flexural (inner) surface of elbow and behind the knees.

In "Contact dermatitis" or in simple words allergy to contact of some irritant material on face : Due to exposure to any irritant material such as any creams or new cosmetic product or sometimes anything coming in contact with the areas can cause the problem. So there can be initial redness and itching with mild pain sensation. As we scratch it or due to exposure to environmental factors such as sunlight, sweating dust and hot humid climate, it can get aggravated.

Even in some cases sunlight itself can act as main factor causing rash. This is a quite simple problem which we see in our day to day practice and persist for only the time till the aggravating factor is present. In many a kids I find licking of lips and bit salivary irritation as main cause.

So the most important part in your management is avoidance of the aggravating factor enumerated all above.

For the betterment kindly follow the suggestions below:

1. Avoiding direct sunlight and hot – humid climate.

2. Wearing cotton clothes and avoid synthetic clothes.

3. Staying in cool environment(preferably AC) and avoid sweating.

4. Taking two time bath once in morning and at night time which will soothe your skin and prevent the aggravation of the problem

5. Do not Pinch, pop or squeeze or rub any area.

6. Do not use any deodorants or any cosmetics over and near the affected area.

7. Do cold compression over the affected area. Take a wet towel soaked in cold water and apply it for 5-10 minutes for 3-4 times a day.

For the part of treatment kindly follow the suggestions below:

1. In my patients I suggest them to apply plane Hydrocortisone cream in a thin layer in morning and at night time. Apply in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to naked eye. You can apply it for 7 days and then stop it after that.

2. If there is any irritation or itching is present then can be given tablet “Loratadine” or "Deslotatadine" tablet by mouth according to the age and weight of child.

Please do nto apply Mometasone in children especially the younger one as it is moderate potency steroid and can cause atrophy of the skin and dependency of the product. So do not use this cream without dermatological suggestion.

For Hydrocortisone too : Do not apply beyond 7 days and try to do the measures suggested above to prevent the recurrence.

Do not worry it is a simple condition and will be better if proper care is done.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for rash around mouth and nose in children 13 hours later
Thanks. I will try these tips and over counter medicine creams. We live in alabama, so it is hot and humid!

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
"No touch and no scratching"

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

Welcome again and thanks for your follow up. I am happy to know that you understood the simplicity of the condition.

The simple measures provided in the previous mail helps to take care of most of the problem. Rest can be maintained by no scratching policy and especially no touching.

Guide your lovely kids to not touch the area and not at all to scratch.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer.

For any future guidance regarding skin conditions you can ask me directly at:

bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)