Suggest treatment for rapid heart beats and arthritis while on Atenolol

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am taking atenolol and irbesartan for bp and anxiety and occasional rapid heart beats. I suffer with arthritis in my neck and shoulders, what is the best pain relief
answers
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acetaminophen is safe to be used in your clinical situation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that all the painkillers (ibuprofen, ketoprofen, naproxen, indomethacine, ketorolac, voltaren, etc.) interact with both these drugs, by decreasing their effects or increasing potassium levels.

Only acetaminophen (Tylenol) is safe to be used concomitantly with your current therapy.

It is a painkiller with no anti-inflammatory effects, but it can help against the pain.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri