Suggest treatment for raised red lesions on neck

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello! My name is XXXXX. I want to ask about a strange rash on my neck. It looks a lot like hives but it doesnt itch and it doesnt flake. I have had the welts for months, they never go away. Sometimes they are raised and sometimes the red marks are flat. The ones on my upper neck are quite a bit larger and have a slightly "silvery" appearance. The welts are SLOWLY spreading up to my face and around to the other side of my neck. They are from my collarbone up to my ear and nowhere else on my body.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pityriasis roseae

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and excellent photographs.
The lesion is looking like that of pityriasis roseae. It is a non specific condition presenting with rash with slight silvery scales.
You require treatment with mild topical steroid cream.
If there is no response with it a biopsy might be required as the other possibility Is localised psoriasis. Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you