Suggest treatment for raised cholesterol level and anxiety

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dr Varshney,
Thankyou for asking how I am.
I have now had the results which I asked my UK GP to carry out.
The ECG was unchanged which I presume included the right bundle branch block which has shown for many years.
The 24 hour urine test was all ok.
The blood test was all ok except for my cholesterol raised from 4.7.to 5.3 but my GP said the good type was encouraging.
He suggested i continue on the medication already mentioned but I have not added the prescribed beta blocker to the Amdodipin. My BP checked over the week seemed to have a pattern of 128/85 at 9am rising during the day with the highest average 157/95 at 11pm. my bpm always in the 70s.
My GP suggests that either Amyltriptiline or Mitazipine would help.
I still feel hot and flushed in the evenings and anxiety is a part of my make up. My new build house has been stressful over the past two years but its virtually finished now so just the move in.
Appreciate your comments.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Start taking beta-blockers...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Unfortunately, Dr.Varshney is not available. This is Dr.Benard, happy to assist you through the process.

First, congratulations for your new built house.

I have analyzed your medical data, and I advise to start the beta-blocker as it will improve your symptoms.

Controlling stress is also important, I do not recommend antidepressants such as Amyltriptiline or Mirtazipine due to their side effects. Instead, I recommend to take
- chamomile/valeriana/aloe vera supplementation (tea or pills)
- conducting a healthy diet and lifestyle regimen with more physical activity
- psychotherapy

However, should discuss it further with psychiatrist who will examine your mental status closely.

Hope it helped! let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Benar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T