Suggest treatment for raised bump on calf

Dr. Matija Romic

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I have a small red raised bump on the back of my right calf halfway between back of knee and ankle. It sometimes itches. The itching may have caused some redness around my calf as well. Its not itchy at the moment. Itchiness comes and goes. I've had it for over a month. Feels like a mosquito bite. Slightly raised and a bit firm. About 1cm in diameter.
Answered by Dr. Matija Romic 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCm

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concerns. Considering this photo and fact that it lasts or more than months, I wouldnt say this is caused by insect bite. Beside this raised bump,there are also surrounding red skin patches and all this indicate some other dermatoilogic diseases,not infection due to bite or injury. This is also to lasting long for some allergy reaction. I would apply mild steroid cream for 5-7days and see will lesions subside. If not, then you should do skin biopsy to rule out psoriasis, autoimmune dermatitis and other dermatologic conditions. At this point, it doesnt seem inflammed and I dont think it will progress,but it can be first sign of disorders that I ve mentioned. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj