Suggest treatment for radiating pain in lower back and sleeplessness

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son age is 19 yrsold/5ft 7 inches/63 kgs and studying for CA exams at home.

2. he used to be active in sports/dance in his school days. But in gymnastic, he felled at his back . It was 3-4 years back. For the last 2 months,pain in lower back has spread to upper back also while laying pain is most.Now pain has increased.

3.MRI & x-ray has been done ,they are ok.

4. The prescription is for multivitamins & painkiller Exonac & taking the same.

5. he has joined pyshotherapist for last 25 days & pain is still there.

6. at night can't sleep without painkiller for more than 5-6 hrs,feels better in chair.
7. 4 weeks back,vitamins B12 which was below level ,now has improved above level ,vitamin D which was very low ,also has improved but still it is below level.
suggest how pain will go?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mechanical back pain likely.

Detailed Answer:
From description it seems he might be suffering from Mechanical back pain.
It is a common medical problem. Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin or Brufen 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain. He can also take oral muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside after getting these prescribed from his orthopedician.
• Correct the posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Do continue taking Vitamin D supplements 60,000 IU every week till the levels return to normal.
The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercise. There are certain back strengthening and isometric exercises that he must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home whenever possible.

He can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 days later
Now ,HLA B27 has come out positive.

-what are treatment?

-what are medicines?

-what are chances of recovery?

-what are excercises?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A positive test does not mean he has a disease.

Detailed Answer:
A positive HLA B27 can be caused by:
Ankylosing spondylitis
Arthritis related to Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis
Psoriatic arthritis (arthritis associated with psoriasis)
Reactive arthritis or Reiter's syndrome
Sacroiliitis (inflammation of the sacroiliac joint)
Uveitis
But since your son does not have any symptoms suggestive of these disorders no treatment or exercises can make the test result come back to normal. Do consult a rheumatologist for a detailed evaluation.
Regards.