• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pustule in the armpit

Posted on Sat, 4 Oct 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi doc,
I had a very small boil/ lump kind of a thing under my left under arm since some last 8 months. I thought it occurred due to waxing I keep getting done on my underarm.
but today I noticed it became a little bigger and puss started coming out of the same with a very foul smell.please find attached the pics.
I am worried can u please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Enlarged and infected lymph node.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic. I saw the pictures and what I am thinking is that the lump you have noticed is a swollen lymphnode. The technical term is Lymphadenitis. By the look of it, it has become infected.

I would suggest that you put some neosporin and a gauze bandage over the raw area of skin. As for the node itself. You will need a course of antibiotics. If you were in my clinic I would write you a prescription for the following

1) Tab Augmentin Duo 1 tab, twice daily for 7 days
2) Tab Econorm 1 tab with each dose of antibiotics
3) Tab Dolo 650 1 tab, Twice daily

The Augmentin is an antibiotic which would cure the infection in the node, the econorm is to prevent loose stools and gastritis due to the antibiotic and the Dolo is to bring down the swelling of the lympnode as well.

The regime I mentioned above should work for most cases. Very rarely, if the antibiotics do not work, then you will need to have the node surgically removed. This is easily done under local anesthesia. But get a prescription of the antibiotics and start them, that should do the trick without any need for antibiotics.

Hope this helps

Vinay
Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

Neurologist, Surgical