Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for puss filled lesion in the groin area

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I think I have a boil on my scrotum. I have had a really bad case of chaffing in between my inner thigh and my ball sac for weeks with irritation and itching. About 2 days ago I noticed a bump like a pimple with a white head on it. It was painful to the touch. So I squeezed it and nothing came out, it just irritated it more. Underneath that, I felt a knot, about the size of a cashew. After messing with the pimple looking bump again a day later, the knot seemed to open up and it is now an open wound. It is not oozing pus, but is just wet with a white open sore now. I have looked at some photos of boils and it has that same open volcano look with white covering. It is really sore to the touch. Is this a boil, should I consult a doctor? I am putting a bandaid on it and neosporin and am not touching it, although when I do push on it a little, white pus is coming out of it.... What should I do?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics are a must Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. You have given a very nice desciption of the lesion. It is certainly a furuncle and the infection has led to a pus formation. It was better to leave it alone. However now that you have punctured it, and that the pus is still comkng out then it would be advisable for you go to a doctor. Basically the pus is supposed to oozed out. The doctor will look for the extensions of th abscess and he has special equipments to open up all the pus pockets and let the pus flow out. The next step would be to start on antibiotic. Cefexime or amoxycilline or ofloxacin would be some good options against such infections. The anti biotic course will have to be continue for 5 days. If there is associated then you may use paracetamol for that. There is no need to panic. It may take 4 -5 days to settle down. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for puss filled lesion in the groin area 3 hours later
thank you for the answer.... my next question, do I need to see a urologist or is my family doctor the guy to see for this? Also, I am a missionary living in Mexico. I live in a big city where there are good doctors, however, I can't get in to see anyone until Tuesday... How should I treat it until then? I am putting neosporin on it and a bandaid which I am switching out about 3 times a day. What has caused this to happen? How can I avoid this from happening in the future?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Family doctor or a surgeon should be good Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up query. A Family Doctor or a general surgeon should be sufficient for this. You need not see a urologist. If there is time, then you should let the wound dry up. You may apply band aids and at night try to keep it exposed . Make sure there is no rubbing with clothes. Look for any fever. If there is any fever then probably you need to to see a doctor immediately. Neosporin should be OK ones a day. Hope that Helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor