Owl Image

Suggest treatment for pus filled infection on forearm

Owl Image
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Question
Hi I had a pus filled infection on my forearm and was treated with a course of antibiotics that didn't work I was then put on both of these Metronidazole
& Doxycycline. After 30 mins I had severe head pressure and muscle weakness in right eye, I took them for a week and felt worse. After another week on amoxicillin my infection started to clear but I ended up in hospital as I couldn't use my arms my neck and head and eye pressure turned into headaches. After a week in hospital MRI and lumbar puncture they have ruled out serious disease but I am left with weak eyes and arm weakness tiredness lethargy and have now caught a flu that I can't shake. Do you think this could have been caused from the flagyl as everything has come back normal.
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Metronidazole adverse effects

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Metronidazole can cause such adverse effects you mentioned and should have been stopped promptly and reported to doctor at earliest convenience. But what is done is done.good news is all the labs are clear.the remaining symptoms. Will resolve soon.
Here is what else metronidazole can do.

Appetite loss
Candidiasis
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Headache
Nausea
Vomiting
Ataxia
Dark urine
Disulfiram-type reaction with ethanol
Furry tongue
Hypersensitivity
Neutropenia
Metallic taste
Neuropathy
Pancreatitis
Seizures
Thrombophlebitis
Xerostomia
Encephalopathy
Aseptic meningitis
Optic neuropathy
Stevens-Johnson syndrome
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pus filled infection on forearm 6 minutes later
Thank you it's been 3 weeks and my symptoms are not improving how can I repair my nerves:muscles. Eyes??? Weakness & tiredness? Just to let you know the drs never considered the antibiotics as a factor so never looked further into it so I am suffering alone. I have a 17 month old that I can't even care for.

Brief Answer:
Need help

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
I can understand the pain. Such abscesses drain alot of energies and fatigue and trouble is all explained. Some physiotherapy and proteinaceous diet and rest will accelerate the healing phase. Instead of trying different antibiotics incision and drainage would have been a quick resolution. And regarding the eye damage that would need an ophthalmologist opinion to comment on.
Stay in touch with your doctor and let them decide what is best for you
take care

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pus filled infection on forearm 8 minutes later
Thank you very much my dr seems to have taken me more serious after seeing how weak my eye muscles are and my shaking and has referred me to another neurologist on Thursday.

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thursday it is

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me
Your doctor should have been serious a bit earlier to prevent this trouble. But as they say it is never too late.lets wait for Thursday and see what happens.hope for the best.
Good luck
Khan.
close the discussion please.