Suggest treatment for purple coloured mark on the back of the head

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello I come out in marks in my back every now and then it's usually lines like I was scratched but now it's more patchy the marks are more of dark purple colour than compared to the photo attached also get bruises on my legs regularly they seem to happen overnight as I only first notice them in the mornings
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Purpurae

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and photograph.
It's looking like purpurae, a minor bleed in skin.
Please get your platelet levels checked.
Purpurae can be due to low platelet.
Usually these red patches will disappear on their own. For faster relief you can apply heparin gel twice daily for a week.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
hello thanks for the reply if it was due to low blood count as you suggest what would be possible reasons for low blood count and how would it be treated
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed examination would be required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
If the platelet levels are low then detailed examination is required for example ultrasound abdomen and bone marrow examination is required.
Get platelet levels checked and let me know.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad