Suggest treatment for pubic lice

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have louse in genital zone,can I use the same shampoo for louse in hair?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shampoo not very effective, use permethrin 5 percent lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney.
Usually shampoos are not very effective for pubic lice.
I recommend my patients to use permethrin 5 percent lotion on the entire body from neck downwards, keep it overnight for 8-10 hours and then wash it off in the morning.
The same treatment is repeated after a gap of 10 days.
This will help in eradicating pubic lice infection.
It is a prescription drug and you need to see the doctor in person to get it.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Is that lotion the same like lotion for lice in hair or there is some special lotion for lice in genital zone?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For pubic lice permethrin 5 percent is used

Detailed Answer:
For head lice permethrin 1 percent is used but for pubic lice permethrin 5 percent lotion is effective.