Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pubertal gynecomastia

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 767 Questions
Hello, I am a 28 yo male with a case of mild pubertal gynecomastia. I was wondering if there was a way for me to find an endocrinologist that would prescribe me Raloxifene as opposed to surgery. I don't have insurance nor do I have the available funds for surgery, but I've read good things about Raloxifene and thought I'd give that a shot. I only have insurance through the VA and no one there has any idea of Raloxifene's effect on gyno. Would a plastic surgeon be able to prescribe Raloxifene? Any recommendations on treatment options and questions to ask a local doctor would be great, thank you.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Drugs do not cause resorption of breast tissue Detailed Answer: Dear sir, you are 28 y, and now you talk of pubertal gynecomastia. so what I understand is that all hormonal work up is normal and there is no further increase in breast size since puberty. if that is the case raloxifene will not help you. you need a cosmetic surgery. regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pubertal gynecomastia 1 hour later
Is Raloxifene only effective with someone that has pre-pubertal gynecomastia? I've always had a larger chest since before puberty, but I can't be sure if it was true gyno since I had no check-ups. What kind of tests should I get? I have noticed fish oil has had a slight effect on my gyno when I take large amounts—could that be indicative of anything? If I tell the doc they are painful is there a chance they will excise them without considering it being cosmetic (and therefore not covered by my healthcare) I'm not above lying as this has affected my life greatly and I think it should be covered for peoples mental health. Please answer all my questions thoroughly.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 8 hours later
Brief Answer: All point wise. Detailed Answer: 1. raloxifene has no role pubertal or pre or post. it will only stop further enlargement. 2. if you are facing difficulty in erection or in fathering a baby. you need Testosterone, LH FSH , estradiol, LFT, semen analysis, 3. in India it is a cosmetic surgery not covered by insurance. 4 if painful, you need mammography and biopsy. if proved pathological then you might get the insurance benefit. 5. role of fish oil I am not sure of. Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor