Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
124 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for psychotic disorder

Answered by
Dr. Kathy Robinson

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1989

Answered : 3478 Questions

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: My sister has two sons, both college graduates. The oldest son is showing signs of mental illness, doctors where she works after describing some of the behaviors, have indicated he is schizophrenic psychotic. We are worried. He has shown signs of delusions, when questioned he becomes violent with his words, to the point that both my sister and brother-in-law are at a loss what to do. The police have been out to their home 7 times and each time they left saying there was nothing they can do since he is not a danger to himself or others. However, the language he had used on both my sister and brother-in-law is frightening. My concern is does he have to hurt or kill them until the police do anything. My sister has told him he needs medical help and he gets angry telling her there is nothing wrong with him and if he forces him to see a doctor he will leave and they will never see him or he will retaliate. She contacted the police hoping they would take him on a 5150 but they have done nothing. My other nephew won't go home to visit as he is afraid of his older brother even though he has not done anything YET. He lost his girlfriend, she said he was crazy, he lost his job, he lost his car and is living at home with my sister and brother-in-law. I am so worried for them. He needs help but apparently nothing can be done. I need some direction. Please help me. I don't want to receive a call that he either hurt his family or himself. He just turned 30.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
so sorry this is going on

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your concern for them.
This is a very difficult situation. He needs to see a psychiatrist and be treated. It is true that the police cannot incarcerate someone if they have done nothing to harm anyone.
What I suggest that you have your sister and brother in law do is to go to the magistrate's office in their town and file commitment papers. This may be the only way to get him into the mental health system. In most states in the US the magistrate can get an involuntary commitment to a psychiatric facility done for at least a 72 hour period. If the doctors feel that he is a danger then they can extend that period.
Unless he has verbally threatened them the police cannot do anything. At this point this is not a legal issue but a mental health issue.
They need to do whatever they can to get him into mental health
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 22 minutes later
If they file the involuntary commitment papers, how does he get to the facility. He won't go with them. Does someone come and pick him up? They live in XXXXXXX CA. He also does not have any health insurance.

I sent my follow-up question but have not had a response.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 15 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
If they file commitment papers and the magistrate agrees that commitment is needed the police will pick him up and take him to a state mental hospital.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Due to other commitments doctors on HCM may have some delay in responses.
Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on