Suggest treatment for psychosis

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: HELLO DOCTOR,GOOD EVENING
COULD YOU PL SAY YOUR VIEW ON THE FOLLOWING QUESTION.
MY SON 36 YEARS SAY THAT SOME ONE IS CONTROLLING HIM WHILE SLEEPING.HE SAY FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS HE FACE THIS PROBLEM.HE WAS NOT LIVING WITH US

he has studied in a foreign country.but he couldnot complete his post graduate studies in computer engineering due to some problems he says.he has got a feeling that he couldnot complete.He has developed a feeling not to get exposed to people.he has 82 percentage marks in UG course in computer engineering from another country.he was staying alone there for 3 years.the rest was with us.before that he was in another country,where he completed on degree course.his friends trapped him for a police case and he had got out of the country.he is very brilliant and he has the attitude to become very angry and short tempered.because of all these situations he is not showing interest either to work or mingle with people.but he seems normal. all these together is confusing me.

no report available
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns for your son.
He complains of someone controlling him in sleep. He could pursue his studies further. His behaviour has changed and he has become aggressive.

In my opinion, he need detailed psychiatric assessment.
Since how long has he developed this changes?
Does he keeps talking to himself?
Does he prefers to stay aloof for most of time?
Has he become fearful?
How is his mood, sleep and appetite?
Any drug abuse?

Kindly answer these questions in follow up.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 20 hours later
the answers to your questions are uploaded

Thank you doctor
Since how long has he developed this changes? 4-5 YEARS more, slightly before 5 years
Does he keeps talking to himself? occasionally
Does he prefers to stay aloof for most of time? NOT ALWAYS,BUT yes. NOT INTERESTED TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE.Not ready to correct his misbelieves
Has he become fearful? Fear ful for every action,hence show not to get involved
How is his mood, sleep and appetite? MOOD IS NORMAL,BUT WHEN A PROBLEM COMES HE BECOMES AGGRESSIVE,BECAUSE OF SLEEP DISTURMANCE,HE SLEEPS IN THE DAY TIME,APPETITE IS GOOD.Very much short tempered.
Any drug abuse? NO

NO ANSWER GIVEN FOR THEBQUESTIONS ASKED.HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO REPLY
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably psychosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.
thanks for the details and sorry for late response.

From the details, I think he has developed psychosis. For this he will need drug treatment. Antipsychotic drugs like olanzapine or risperidone (prescription drug) are very effective in such cases.

Kindly consult your local psychiatrist to get a valid prescription. Also, a face to face interview with local psychiatrist can help to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 40 hours later
thank you very much.
is it completely curable:
how long roughly to take medication,may be it varies case to case
whether medication to continue indefinitely
any side effect for drug usage
thanks

would you give your contact number?
this consultation can continue how many days.
if we need further follow discusssion,what is the method to give you consulting fee
can we discuss over telephone?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medicines must be given for long term.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
The illness is treatable with medicines. As his illness is of 4-5 years, he may need long term treatment. The duration will depend on how he responds to drug.
The common side effects are weight gain and constipation, which can be taken care off easily.

For future communication, you can visit my profile page on healthcare magic. You can directly ask a question there to me through the link given on my profile page. My clinic details are also available there.
Unable to give you my contact number here.

Hope this helps.
I wish for speedy recovery of your son.
Regards.

Dr. Shubham Mehta,
MD (Psychiatry).
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj