Suggest treatment for psychosis

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
My fiancé has developed a habit of word association, where she has picked several common words and has decided that they are offensive to her. This list of words I can no longer use seems to be getting longer and longer every day, to the point I now almost cant carry on a conversation with her. She is also sure the world is out to get her and everything anybody says is about her from the TV to the people she comes in contact with. What, if anything can I do?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She is in psychosis

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magi. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in ths query.

I think, she is in psychosis. You have mentioned two of her symptoms. First is word association. This is a formal thought disorder and second is delusion of reference (everything anybody says is about her from the TV to the people). In that case, she needs few antipsychotics and that would help to control such symptoms. Better to contact a psychiatrist for proper treatment.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for psychosis 1 hour later
Ok, thanks. The next question is how does one go about getting her to go to a psychiatrist? She gets rather violent-not physically-whenever I suggest that there might be something wrong and perhaps we should seek out a doctor.

Brief Answer:
You have to do some tricks

Detailed Answer:
HI

In that case, you have to use some tricks like tell her i need help of a doctor and come with me. Before you talk to the doctor, explain her condition to doctor. Rest, psychiatrist knows how to tackle the situation and ask questions from patients. If that does not wok, you can arrange a home visit for her.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist