Suggest treatment for psoriatic arthritis

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: In May of this year I had what the dermatologist assumed wad psoriasis. The medication they gave me didn't work and only thinned my skin. I ordered this ointment online and did apple cider vinegar baths. In 3 weeks it's lightened up alot. however noe I have this purplish red spots that come and go all over my body sometimes within seconds. My rheumatoid factor and crp was elevated as well. I've seem a rheumatologist and he ruled out any type of rheumatoid disease. my legs have also become a little weak and feel odd. what could this be?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

I have gone through your history. The spots you are referring to may be linked to psoriasis pustules. Which may get triggered by any thing touching the skin as well. High CRP does indicate some form of inflammation is going on. As of rheumatoid factor, it can be false positive in a lot of cases....

But I would like to rule out any form of psoriatic arthritis affecting your body...I am going to ask you a few questions, so I can guide you better

1. ANy swelling anywhere in the joint??

2. When you say weak, you feel weakness at the knees or the ankles or the hip?

3. Any associated back pain or neck pain?

4. When is the weakness more..On walking or is it at rest as well

Do let me know these queries

REgards
Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 42 minutes later
there was pitting edema in my lower legs about 3 weeks ago. No joint pain. My lower legs, especially calfs feel weak or like its going to give out on me when first walking. I've had existing back and neck pain so I'm unsure if it's related to this. the purple spots that come and go quickly is mainly on arms and legs
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Delayed reply

Detailed Answer:
good evening

Sorry for the delayed Reply. I was out of town for an conference and just returned today

1. pitting edema can be a part of psoriasis also as it is a known complication of people having psoriasis. It is an indication we need to step up the treatment....

2. Calf pains can be due to many causes. It is always tough to point down at one. I would like to know if your knees are functioning fine.. that is there is no pain on climbing stairs or walking uphill? if that is through you should supplement with Vitamin d and E supplements as they help in proper contractions of the calf muscles

3. the back. pain and neck. pain may be linked to it. Psoriasis can affect the joints there itself.. which will show a good response to your anti inflammatory drugs and exercise....

So I would suggest we go for a short course of etoricoxib along with methotrexate for your psoriasis... and Vitamin D supplements... that should help resume your normal life once agajn

Do let me know for more queries.I will be quick to reply next time

Dr naval