Suggest treatment for psoriasis

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 13 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My husband is suffering from Psoraisis problem for last 10 years. He has taken medication at times that has controlled it but never cured completely .currently stopped everything.Is this disease curable at all? what medication would reduce or control it.

It seem to increase all over the body now including scalp and is very frustrating. Can you please advise ?Any Natural remedies will help? Any best clinic/Doctor in the country where this can be treated?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can only be controlled

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder and cannot be totally cured.
It can be controlled well with medication.
I treat severe cases with oral methotrexate and topical coal tar lotion.
You can meet any dermatologist and get him treated.
There is no use of changing doctors with false promises of curing psoriasis.
He should try to minimize stress by doing yoga as stress flares up the disease.
Fruits such as papaya and pineapple with anti inflammatory property should be included in his diet daily.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 11 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. Which lotion , soap and Shampoo would you suggest doctor that can reduce the disease?

Is it life threatening in long Run?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Protar and salytar.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's not life threatening.
It will remain confined to skin.
Rarely it can involve bones.
He should do regular exercise to prevent joint stifness.
He can use protar lotion for body, to be applied in night and salytar scalp lotion to be applied on scalp before bath.
Ask him to apply lot of coconut oil daily.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad