Suggest treatment for pseudomonas infection on heel

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I was told to use warm water and Clorox (small capfuls) for pseudomonas on my heel and screamed from the pain. Is this something I should be doing?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explain your problem in detail

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic.
Thanks for your querry.
If you could explain me what exactly had happened to your heel and since how long' Also the investigations performed till date, it will be easier for me to clarify your situation.

Thanks a lot. Waiting for your response. Have a nice day.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pseudomonas infection on heel 13 hours later
I had squema cell cancer on my heel and with Mohs surgery, taking off two layers of tissue, were able to get it all. I could not have the procedure done until the MRSA was healed which I took the Dychlocycline antibiotic for. After surgery was done, I developed the pseudomonas infection and am taking Cypro. The warm water and capful of bleach caused the infection to bleed so I am now putting Aquafor and clean bandages everyday which seems to have helped. I really believe I need a wound care specialist as this has gone on since XXXXXXX 6th. I have to get back to my job as a flight attendant for XXXXXXX What else can I do?

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Silver containing ointments are good alternatives.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome back.
As rightly written by you, there is need of regular expert wound dressing. Silver containing antiseptic ointments are good options against Pseudomonas. Do submit a sample from the ulcer/wound for bacterial culture and sensitivity. It will tell us whether or not the organisms is multidrug resistant.
I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Till then Good bye. God bless.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pseudomonas infection on heel 3 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. I did want to ask if my being in a crowd or around someone could possibly infect that person? Also, I had asked in my original inquiry what you felt about warm water and Clorox mixture? My wound started bleeding when I used this even though the Mohs surgeon suggested this for pseudomonas. I disagree wholeheartedly. These will be my last questions as I do not wish to take up too much of your time.

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complete eradication of the organisms is mandatory

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome once again.
The first and foremost thing I would like you to know that I am always here to help.

Many times the mixture of warm water and clorox do work. But if you are bleeding after use, you may revisit your surgeon for a change in antiseptic application.
And yes, if the organism is not completely eradicated, there is chance of transmission.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions or queries you have, I am here to help you till you have reached satisfaction.
God bless you.