Suggest treatment for prostatomegaly

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My husband 45yrs has normal sized liver with fatty infiltration and coarsened parenchyma.Elastography shows normal shear wave velocities.He also has borderline prostatomegaly.is it serious??what should be the line of treatment?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please discuss liver tests and PSA test with his doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

A normal sized liver with fatty infiltration and coarsend parenchyma with normal shear wave velocities on ultrasound is usually not a serious problem. However the cause of fatty coarsened liver is to be evaluated in detail.

It is suggested to consult his doctor and run few liver specific blood tests to know any cause of the liver appearance on ultrasound scan including infective conditions. If the blood tests do not indicate any abnormal liver parameters or infection then there is nothing to worry. However a coarsened liver might require a follow up ultrasound scan every 6 to 12 months or as recommended by his doctor.

The prostate is a small potato shaped organ in males and it starts enlarging usually after 60 years of age. If your husband has mild prostate enlargement then there is chances he might be having it at an earlier age. Please get a PSA (prostate specific antigen) blood test done and if it is normal then there is no serious problems.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 11 hours later
He is taking Atorvas 5mg,milkthistle dandelion nd turmeric capsules,nexpro 40,ohenz.should he take Udiliv300?or should he take any cystine tabs?His PSA is 2.57.cholestrol 218.triglyceride 118.LFT IS NORMAL.But FBS IS 123.hB1 IS 5.9%.SHOULD we do anything for the sugar values to improve?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He can avoid taking extra sugar otherwise it is acceptable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

If udiliv has been prescribed after clinical examination then he can take it as recommended. It is usually given for few weeks.

Blood sugar HbA1C 5.9 percent is upper limit of normal and there is nothing to worry about it. This can be controlled by avoiding extra sugar. Regular amount of sugar is acceptable.

Atorvas 5 mg is low dose and cholesterol can be controlled by cooking with olive oil at home.

Hope your query is answered.