Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for prostate cancer

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 59 Questions
I was informed by a Prostate XXXXXXX 9 , support member, that XXXXXXX 9's, with bone metastasis, need to not only be tested with PSA, but also four other blood tests (CEA-CarcinoEmryonic Antigen, CGA-ChromoGranin A), NSE (Neuron-Specific Enolase), and PAP (Prostatic Acid Phosphatase). I was wondering if people, on this thread, have their Oncologist's take this extra blood work. My dad had this sneaky cancer come out of no where! His PSA was always low, and his PSA just started to jump like crazy within 4 months. I believe that my dad's entire skeletal system had to have this cancer on it for years. I thereby feel that PSA alone, will not be a full indicator if it lowers to close to zero (I pray), but rather looking at the above mentioned bloodwork? Also, with stage IV, bone metastasis, is it concention to have radiation done, even after cancer had spread out of the prostate capsule? I was told, by a Urologist, that it is good to stop the possible, future spread to visceral organs? Is prostate cancer not as deadly as other types; even in its' aggressive form? Thanks!
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi In patients with high XXXXXXX score (more than 7 or 8) and who have low PSA, it is better to get these additional blood tests done. In these patients, the cells would be doing less of normal function and hence PSA may not be secreted by the cells. So, deceptively low levels of serum PSA would be estimated. Generally, PAP (only in these advanced cases) indicates that cancer could have spread beyond prostate, CGA indicates higher chances of spread to liver, lungs and bones. NSE and CEA indicate more aggressive type of prostate cancer. Radiation as therapy both for cure and palliation has to be planned by the attending clinician. He would have seen the progress of the disease and its potential areas of spread. He would be the right person to plan for treatment or for prevention of manifestation of disease. Generally prostate cancers are not very aggressive. But some forms are aggressive and could be life threatening. Apart from XXXXXXX score and other tumor markers, the attending clinician would be in a better position to comment on the aggressiveness. Hope it helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for prostate cancer 5 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX How are you? Thanks for your responses!!!! Since my dad has extensive bone metastasis, as of a few weeks ago, with a bone scan, should he still have those 4 blood tests done? I am worried that it may have spread to lymph and/or organs. The CT scan did not show any other spread but to the bones. Also, I am wondering how long this cancer has been with my dad. Do you think it would take years, and not months, to see such a spread of disease throughout the skeletal system? Even with such spread throughout the bones, can this clinical picture, dictate more of an aggressive cancer, or do indolent prostate cancers, perhaps also spread to the bones? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 11 hours later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: As I had replied earlier, the blood tests are indicative of aggressiveness. These tests do not alter the course of the disease. These tests have been advised as you are apprehensive of lymph spread. There is no answer as to how long the cancer would have been present in the individual. Usually it would be months or years before they manifest. However, if the disease spreads in a short duration, then it indicates a very aggressive behavior of cancer. The very fact it has spread to bones indicates aggressive cancer. But if lymph nodes and visceral organs are involved, it indicates a very aggressive variety.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor