Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

127 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for prolonged cough in a child

Answered by
Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 709 Questions

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 4 year old son has prolonged cough. Tried giving him cough syrup (Tixylix, Abbot) but the coughing still continues. Any remedy for this. Weare having rainy season here in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can be adenoids

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and thanks for the query,

Prolonged cough in 4 year old children can be due to adenoid problem. Adenoids can get infected and the infection can become persistent inspite of antibiotics. Mucus from the infected adenoids drips into the throat producing cough. He should be investigated for enlarged adenoids. Plaese see an ENT specialist for the same. He may need an X ray.

If he has not yet recieved a course of antibiotics, then he should be given a course. Penicillin group of antibiotics work very well for infections of upper respiartory tract.

Allergies of the lung can also produce prolonged cough. Please get it ruled out by a pediatrician.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Prolonged cough

doctor1 MD

Does a sputum culture gram stain indicating moderate white blood cells seen, few gram positive cocci, few gram negative bacilli, few gram positive bacilli suggest the need for identifying the actual bacteria through further culture testing?

doctor1 MD

Is there any ONE symptom that is almost ALWAYS indicative of cancer ? What is the "canary in a coal mine" of cancer symtoms ?

doctor1 MD

my mother aged about 58 years had a prolonged cough for more than 2 months . now though the cough has sudsided she has wheezing and sometimes dyspnea while inhaling. The sputum test done then reveiled no malignant cells . x-ray few calcified spot. suspecting allergic bronchitis ??? propable treatment options

doctor1 MD

Name: Prabal Bose
Age: 56 years
Prolonged cough since 1 year blood appear in January 2011 and chest pain.
In the beigning normal treatment, then diagonestic test :-
1.ELISA - positive igA indicative of active tuberculosis.
-      Positive igG indicative of old or chronic infection.
-     Positive igM indicative of current infection.
IMPRESSION: mass lesion in right lower lobe with fibrousis and surrounding noudles.
3. MANTOUX TEST- positive
Treatment since feb 2011.
X-RAY dated:6-06-2011
Stone in gall bladder no treatment so far.
Now recently :
Dated: 8/11/2011
Blood test: normal
No symptoms of T.B
As per doctor T.B is cured medication continuing.
Problem at present:-
Feeling of heaviness in right portion of the chest associated with back pain in the ribcage of back side coughing still continuing.
Blood appears in morning cough, weakness, loss of apptitute, severly irritated mood.
Doctor said there is no physical problem, is all due to mental condition.

doctor1 MD

hello dr. good baby is 5.5 months old and he is having prolonged paedriatic has given hom anti biotics but it doesn;t give the my dr. has advised me to go for t3-t4 test and blood that essential.....betnesol is also given..can we give this corticosteroid at this age???will it not harm my baby???thanx a tonn for ur opinoin...

doctor1 MD

I have a prolonged cough for about two months,I have tried Antibiotics,cough syroup,and some natural way of treating cough.I also have been prescribed for an alergic medication.However with all the above curing treats I am still experiencing the cough.I really do not know what to do .Any advice please