Suggest treatment for prolonged cough in a child

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 4 year old son has prolonged cough. Tried giving him cough syrup (Tixylix, Abbot) but the coughing still continues. Any remedy for this. Weare having rainy season here in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can be adenoids

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and thanks for the query,

Prolonged cough in 4 year old children can be due to adenoid problem. Adenoids can get infected and the infection can become persistent inspite of antibiotics. Mucus from the infected adenoids drips into the throat producing cough. He should be investigated for enlarged adenoids. Plaese see an ENT specialist for the same. He may need an X ray.

If he has not yet recieved a course of antibiotics, then he should be given a course. Penicillin group of antibiotics work very well for infections of upper respiartory tract.

Allergies of the lung can also produce prolonged cough. Please get it ruled out by a pediatrician.

regards,
Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari