Suggest treatment for profuse sweating when diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a history of symptomatic mvp for 40 plus yrs which causes tachycardias that I take low dose toprol xl for. My resting blood pressure is 84/60 and was this way before starting. On the heart med .I am 62 , post menopausal , and having extreme and frequent hot flashes that i take gabapentin for . I have just been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis and have started plaquenil and I have achilles tendenosis .For last 5-10 yrs I have had excessive sweating and heat intolerance and often feel nauseated and have to lie down after a warm shower. I have developed edema in my legs and a feeling of tightness and discomfort in my lower legs if I am on my feet for more than an hr. For years if I have to hold my arms up whike doing something my heart rate goes sky high and I almost faint. I have been told I may have dysautonomia but have never had a tilt table test. Can dysautonomia cause severe hot flashes that don't respond to any treatments and what do you think is going on with me ?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, dysautonomia can e the cause

Detailed Answer:

Excessive sweating, heat intolerance, edema and nausea are typical features of dysautonomia.

Gabapentin is known to be beneficial in dysautonomia.

I believe you might also have hormonal imbalance like low estrogen and thyroid which can aggravate autonomic defect and make it unresponsive to medications.

If you have got the Tsh and estradiol levels checked in recent days, please share the report with me.

If not please get them estimated. If low, correcting with supplements will surely reduce most of your symptoms.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Please do ask if any doubts.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please rate the same with five stars and close.

If in future you need to consult me, you can approach me directly through the below link.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-raju-a-t/60137