Suggest treatment for productive cough while treating bronchitis

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have had a cough and it is productive,green brown stuff.I have been treated for bronchitis and had Kenalog shot and Z pack treatment last week..finished it.I am still coughing up stuff with wheezing, sob,and fatigue.This am I woke up short of breath tight in my chest and my skin bright red and hot in face and upper body.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Your all symptoms are mostly due to acute exacerbation of bronchitis.
Best treatment of bronchitis is inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS).
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done
1. Clinical examination of respiratory system
2. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis. It will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment of bronchitis is based on severity only.
You may require inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid.
Don't worry, you will be alright.
Start appropriate treatment.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
I am using an Albuterol inhaler also.Do you think I need more antibiotics or should I go back and see Doc as its been going on now 3 weeks...and do not feel its resolving.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should definitely consult pulmonologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
I can understand your concern.
You are mostly having infective exacerbation.
You may need higher antibiotics and additional bronchodilators.
So better to consult pulmonologist and discuss all these.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D