Suggest treatment for productive cough and stuffy nose

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my newborn just got back from the clinic with the doctor said he has RSV and put him on the nebulizer. I used it on him around 8p.my. he doing good, gaining weight, eat and sleep normally, no fever except wet cough and stuffy nose. He took 2.5-3oz formula around 9:30. And then woke up around 12:50, drank less than 1oz, and sleep. Work up around 2 and drank another 1 Oz and keep falling asleep even when I try to wake him up. He sleep soundly with a lil stuffy nose. Should I concern about him not drinking enough and just let him sleep? He should be taking 2-3oz around 4:30-5a.my. if he not taking it and just back to sleep, should I concern?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

RSV is a virus and therefore the complaints are due to a viral infection. Such an infection usually lasts for a week or so irrespective of treatment. Nebulization is the mainstay of treatment. Some antiallergic and saline nasal drops can be given for the stuffy nose. In such a condition it is not usual for the child to not feed well and this is not a cause for concern. However, if apprehensive it would be a good idea to get his blood checked for complete blood count and C-Reactive protein level. If they are normal there is nothing to worry.

Let me know if I could help further.