Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for problematic bowel control

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
hi… i am trying to help my mother who is 88 yrs old, the picture of health, active in every way possible, dancer, golfer, swimmer, etc…. she has has a problem with bowel control for a long time . she has ignored it and has tried to deal with it in her own way… until recently… she finally realized her quality of life is changing as she can't go far. she went to the GI guy and all he did was a colonoscopy and over the counter recommendation… he never commented on her rectal sphincter tone, IBS, manometry… i am an Adult NP and honestly i don't know where to get answers… how sad is that… can u help ?
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Solutions for problematic bowel control... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read the medical history of your mother and understood your concerns. Your mother is 88 years old. Although we do not admit it, time passes, and everything changes including the her bowel movements. If I was her caring doctor would ask for ano-rectal-manometry to measure the tone of the anal sphincter. Depending on the results, would further decide for best treatment. There are surgical treatments and newer treatments for the problems your mother has. You can discuss them with a proctologist. I usually advise my patients with the same problems as your mom to : - take methylcellulose treatment to control bowel movements - do not delay when she feels to pass the motion; ask her to schedule bowel movements at a precise time during the day (bowel training) - do Kegel's exercise (will improve pelvis muscles and urethral and anal tone) Hope it helped! Dr.Bardha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for problematic bowel control 13 hours later
Being she us 88 going on 48 ... Highly active ... Should this not work what surgeries should I look into ... Her grand daughter is getting married in sep & I'm worried she is nit gonna make it... Otherwise I have reviewed the above thank u XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Proctologist will decide better for the surgery... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for caring about your mother. Although it is hard to be admitted, time keeps running. I am glad to know she is highly active as if she was 48 instead of 88 years old. This increases the chances to get better. You can ask her to do the lifestyle and diet changes as mentioned earlier. With regards to the surgery, I'd suggest to consult a proctologist (who is also a surgeon). He/she will ask to do some tests first (as mentioned earlier) and then, depending on the tests, he/she will decide if your mother can go for a surgery or not. There are many types of surgery to correct the tone of anal sphincter. The proctologist will decide which is the best for your mom. Congratulations for her grand-daughter wedding! Dr.Bardha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor