• question-icon

Suggest treatment for prickly heat rashes on back

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Kanodia,

Hope you are doing well.

With the onset of summers I start having my share of troubles, and this is the third year now that I have been reaching out to you for different skin problems.

I have been facing an issue of prickly heat, itching and burning sensation and heat rashes on the back. It usually gets worse in the evenings when I come back home from office. There is a lot of itching and burning sensation and to control it I have been taking a shower and applying powders.

I have tried dermi cool powder from the last few days but see no relief. Could you please help.

Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send pictures of the affected area.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Greetings !!!

I'm doing well and reciprocate the good wishes.

I can get from your query that prickly heat is causing a lot of problems to you. For suggesting you the best part of treatment and guidance I request you to kindly upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Various suggestions for your concern.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for posting the pictures.

After analyzing the complete query with pictures I can make out that you have quite severe of the condition.

This is basically an irritation to the heat and then further scratching has caused it more troublesome.

I suggest you following measures to take care of the condition :

- Do cold compressions with towel soaked in cold water as soon as you come from office. Please do not use ice or ice cold water. Just drinkable cold water to be used. This compression could be done for multiple times as per your convenience.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments .

- Take bath for two times or even you ca take a shower 3rd time before going to bed.

- Do not try to scrub or scratch the area.

Do not wear synthetic or tight garments. Wear simple lose cotton clothes.

If I were your treating doctor then would have preferred Fluticasone cream to be applied two tiles for 5 days. After that I would have preferred calamine lotion for next 10 days.

I would have give Tab loratadine for three times for 5 days then 2 times for 5 days and then reduced to minimum of one. This tablet is given to reduce the tendency to itch.

Most importantly do not expose yourself to the extreme of temperature suddenly. Many times we come out of AC room and expose ourselves to external environment and vice versa. Give a transition time of few minutes before getting exposed to any of these temperatures.

I hope this helps.

My best wishes for your good health .

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist