question-icon

Suggest treatment for pricking pain in the knee and pain in the leg

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016
Question: Hello. I am feeling like pin prick just below my knee on left part of my right leg. I get this sensation two or three times a day and lasts for about 10 minutues and completely disappears. What could it be?.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
it's nerve irritation at local or higher level.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ziarddin,
Thanks for the query. I have read it & understood your problem.
* The pin prick feeling below your right knee towards left part ( median compartment ) seems to be a neurological symptom because of involvement of nerve supplying that area. It can be-
- Trauma to the area causing damage to subcutaneous nerves of the area.. which are intermittently irritated to cause the sensation. History of fall/ hit to the part is present in such cases.
- Nerve pressure or nerve kinking at higher levels ( lumber spinal problems / hip /knee) is another possibility. This is due to degenerative changes in spine/ compression of nerve at sciatic notch of pelvis/ bony spur ).
- Diabetic neuropathy can rarely cause such symptoms
* you need a family doctor's advise/ investigations for primary assessment of the problem with needful referral to experts ( orthopedic surgeon/ diabetologist ) for specific management.
* treatment would be cause specific.
I hope that satisfies you. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale