Suggest treatment for pressure under lower left rib cage
Rule out a Cardiac issue before working up other causes
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
My main concern is first to rule out any cardiac abnormality even if the symptoms don't indicate a cardiac issue. I would order an EKG , ETT and preferably an Echocardiogram in this regard. An Ultrasound of the area i.e left lower rib cage should be done to see for two important things among others. Firstly, size of the spleen and secondly normal diaphragmatic movements. An enlarged spleen and a subsequent splenic infarct can lead to both pressure and pain sensations in the area you described. All these tests can be ordered together by your local doctor / cardiologist. If the pain is not severe enough to affect routine daily activities, please ask your GP for cardiologist referral.
Besides the above mentioned cause, a pleural effusion on the left side can also lead to such pressure symptoms. An X ray chest or the ultrasound can be used to look for it. If no such causes are found then empirically, I would advise PPIs like esomeprazole with pro kinetics like metoclopramide for 2 weeks to see for improvement of the symptoms.
Wishing you best of health
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Movement under rib cage high wbc count frequent bowels treatment
- Pressure under left rib cage and fatigue
- Pressure under left rib cage sticks out
- Suggest treatment for pain due to broken rib cage
- Suggest treatment for pain in rib cage
- Treatment for herniation under the rib cage
- Experiencing pain and discomfort under rib cage cause and treatment
- Cramp under left rib cage
- Pressure under rib cage
- What is the treatment for fluttering sensation under rib cage