Suggest treatment for presence of blood in spit along with productive cough

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: There is blood in my spit. For 5 days I've had a sore throat, productive cough with yellow mucus. Bright, red blood found in mucus for 3 days. Bright, red blood found when clearing throat. Initially I thought the blood was due to blowing my nose. However, I continue to have blood although I have stopped blowing my nose.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection of respiratory tract

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Blood mixed mucus ( hemoptysis ) with history of cough , sore throat and phlegm is very typical and common presentation of respiratory tract infection. Acetaminophen alone wont be enough here. You need to talk to an internist and let them prescribe you some antibiotics after sorting out the likely cause and working some baseline tests.

Meanwhile Rest & Drink plenty of fluids. Prefer warm non caffeinated beverages for example honey mixed herbal tea , warm water and cold treats like ice pops etc for soothing throat. Salt water gargles also help one tea spoon of salt mixed in 8 ounces of water. Humidify the air, use throat lozenges.

Nutshell, its a respiratory tract infection leading to hemoptysis and should be treated with antibiotics after complete clinicopathological correlation.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan