Suggest treatment for premature greying of hair

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have started getting lot of grey hairs in the young age .. Around 5yrs back it started here an there one or two but now it has increased more an increasing day by day
And now i find some in my beard also
How can prevent ir from increasing further ?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premature greying of hair

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

The first onset of grey hair and the speed at which people go grey varies from person to person. As a rough guide 50% of the population has 50% grey hair by age 50. This is natural greying due to ageing and it cannot be prevented or reversed, totally.

Most people actually start going grey in their late 20's but they don't notice it immediately. "Premature greying" is defined as grey hair onset before late teens for Caucasians and before age 30 in Africans and Asians. Currently available medicines target this group of people, rather than natural greying due to ageing.

Very occasionally, a few grey hairs can develop in young children and yet it indicates nothing other than an early onset of the grey hair that we all develop with increasing age.

The most common areas on the scalp in which to first see grey hair development are above the ears OR at the temples. The greying of hairs then spreads to other areas. Gray hair development in the beard and moustache may also start quite early, while grey hair on the chest and pubic region generally only occurs some years after onset of grey hair on the scalp.

A role is postulated for environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, smoking, deficiency of trace elements and nutritional deficiencies in the causation of premature greying.

Currently treatment options are limited but are worth the indication, in those who develop considerable grey hairs before 30 years of age: Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) and Calcium pantothenate are well known and are known to arrest and even reverse premature greying. PABATAB-BZ tablet marketed by shalak's pharmaceuticals in XXXXXXX contains both of these ingredients in adequate concentration (para-aminobenzoic acid 100 mg, biotin 5 mg, zinc 25 mg, calcium pantothenate 100 mg). Recommendation is to take thrice daily for 6 months.

Topical 1% Melitane is a new molecule that has recently be come available for premature greying of hair. It is available as a gel and needs to be applied once daily (2ml) at night at the roots. It can be use for both scalp as well as beard greying.

Hope this helps you in getting a solution to your problem

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
After taking this tablet an using gel .
Will it only prevent the hair from going grey or it will turn the grey hairs which is already there back to black

An after how long i can see the changes happens after 6 months or in the middle
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premature canities

Detailed Answer:
Hi

With Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) temporary hair darkening has been reported after ingestion of 100 mg three times daily. Darkening is obvious within 2–4 months of starting treatment. Even if it does'nt reverse the already white hairs into black, it can definitely arrest further progress.

Topical 5% Melitane is also claimed to reverse and arrest further premature greying of hair.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Thank you Dr.

What will the cost of the TABLET and gel ..?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premature canitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Per tablet would cost you around 9 Rs. Altris gel (1% melitane) would cost around 800/- Rs.