Suggest treatment for premature greying of hair

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Ayurveda
Question: hi I am XXXXXX suffering from premature greying i started greying since i was 12 years old now i am 22 years i find 40% of my hair grey . can my grey hair be reversed?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need more details & Management aspect

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health problem and looking by your history, following points needs re evaluation:

1. any undue mental/physical/emotional stress?

2. is your menstrual cycle normal, and any thyroid disorder (under active thyroid)
PS. any baseline investigations [blood sugar, blood count,thyroid profile done]??

3. have your hair broken or root became weak. what is the opinion of Trichologist?
PS. any appointment with General physician or Trichologist [hair specialist]?

Please revert back with above concerns for treatment aspect, in the meantime preventive aspect is given below
i. Avoid too much exposure to sun.
ii. As you are from XXXXXXX thus summer/humidity season is one of the culprit, make sure you take adequate protection for the same.
iii. Avoid high extremes of temperature such as used in hair straightening devices.
iv. After bath make sure you avoid vigorous toweling of hair, let them dry naturally.
v. Make less choice for synthetic hair oils, hair coloring,bleaching,styling and use of dry blowers.
vi. Avoid excessive exposure to sun, heat, wind, dust,anger, stress, anxiety,
vii. avoid oily, fried, spicy, hot, fermented and stale food.
viii. Proteins are essential for antibodies production so milk,egg (white), beans, yogurt, soyamilk, pumpkin, squash,watermelon,peanuts,almonds, if non-vegetarian (meat) are choices
ix. XXXXXXX carrots, cantaloupe,egg yolk,apricots,pumpkin,papaya, are ideal
x. Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla is good option.
xi. Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant thus peanuts,dried apricots, cooked spinach taro root can be taken
xii. Soap nut (reetha) and shikakai along with Bhringraj and Neelini oil acts as natural conditioner and XXXXXXX you can use it safely.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
MD. (Ayu.) Kayachikitsa
Naimittika Clinic
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 41 minutes later
My menstural cycle is normal, and regarding thyroid i have not been tested for thyroid .Do u suggest to consult a trichologist ?and should i check for thyroid problem?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Opinion is Necessary to rule out any hidden cause

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back

Since these are baseline investigation and examination so YES one should go for necessary evaluation of both.

1. At your age [22] reversible factors which can be considered are
. STRESS: whether it is physical or mental will cause white/grey hairs thus minimize the stress level in your personal life

PS. Avoid: excess physical –mental exertion, sun exposure, corrylium, smoking, errhine therapy, betel leaves, gruel, soup, day time sleeping, garlic, ginger, onion, spicy-heavy- junk food, mustard oil, pickles.
- Take: mint, coriander, tomato, cumin, plenty of water, vitamins and mineral supplements, apple, banana,grapes,dates
- You can practice: bhujangasana,halasana, paschimottasana, sarvangasana, shalabhasana, shavasana and vakrasana and pranayamas like bhastrika and kapalbhati.
- Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest.

Besides those:
i. Take 1 spoon black pepper powder and 5 spoons jaggery in 4 cup water and boil till 2 cups remain, filter it and drink for 1 month.
ii. Take 3 teaspoons of bitter gourd with a glass of water every morning for a month.
iii. Mix 4-5 dates in half glass of water and drink 2 times daily for a month.
iv. Apple, almond, banana, broccoli, cantaloupe, melon, carrot, cashew nut, corn, cauliflower, grapes, guava, lemon, XXXXXXX orange, pineapple, soybean, spinach have anti oxidant properties so take them in plenty.

2. Improper Diet: Lack of vitamin B12 is the most common cause of white/grey hair. Thus, increase the consumption of food rich in vitamin B12 such as tuna, sardines, salmon, beef, egg, lamb, cheese and milk.

PS. also incorporate diet mentioned earlier, food rich in iodine help in preventing grey hair. Fish has a high content of iodine. In addition to this, bananas and carrot also contain some iodine. Water soaked with amla fruit overnight acts as good conditioner and can be used to rinse your hair after a wash. Try to eat as much of this fruit as possible for preventing white hair.

3. Unhealthy Habits: if into any addiction, whether smoking, drinking, taking excess tea/coffee, fried/spicy food [The best way therefore, is to stay away from these things and maintain a healthy lifestyle.]

PS. increase intake of minerals: Tyrosinase is a copper containing enzyme that converts tyrosine into melanin. [which gives hair its black colour], Copper can be obtained from calf’s liver, mushrooms, mustard greens, spinach, eggplant, asparagus, peppermint, potato, green beans, cashews, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, XXXXXXX ginger etc [do check with relevant investigations and examination to rule out any hidden/secondary cause of your problem]

Dr. Munish Sood
Naimittika