• question-icon

Suggest treatment for prediabetes

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Diabetes
Question: Hello, I have been diagnosed with pre diabetes and last night no matter how much sugar I ate, my blood sugar kept dropping to around 75. My dad who is a diabetic said that the meter shows 10 points higher than the actual sugar level so it could have been 65. I ate grapes, apple, XXXXXXX twice, drank a lot of orange juice and milk but it still kept dropping. I drink a lot of water during the day because I reduced the dosage of klonopin and klonopin withdrawal can cause dehydration. I drink 64 ounces so do you think that could be causing the low blood sugar? I went to a doctor today and he told me that since I am not a diabetic and don't take medication, I shouldn't worry about it and shouldn't keep checking it and that it will not go too low. Do you think I should worry about this because I'm afraid it will go too low when I'm sleeping?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hypoglycemia;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone through your concern carefully!

Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar ( under 70 mg/dl), is a common finding in female and in most of the cases it is due to "reactive hypoglycemia". Too much insulin secretion after a meal rich in carbohydrates is the cause and is treated by eating every 2-3 hours and cutting the carbohydrates. Hypoglycemia in these cases does not occur due to fasting.

It does not seem to be your case though, because you have not had values under 70 mg/dl.
So, no need to check the blood sugar and no need to worry about hypoglycemia at all.

You can not suppose that the blood sugar is going low unless you have had any episodes of hypoglycemia ( under 70 mg/ dl). Even if you had any, the treatment will consist of eating often and cutting the number of carbohydrates.

As long as you do not take any anti-diabetic treatment, there's no need to be afraid of hypoglycemia.

Hope I have been helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist