Suggest treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: How does a person cure ptsd?
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Counseling or Medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

I have gone through your question and can understand your concerns.

The treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder can be via 2 ways. One is counseling and one is via medication.

Counseling will involve talking about the stressor and trying to reduce the anxiety due to it. Some doctors also advocate exposing the person to the stressor in a controlled environment so that they can better handle the stress.

Medication used for PSTD are usually mood elevating drugs. Ideally, valium or other sleeping pills would not be preferred as they can cause depression to aggravate.

The bulk of the medication suggested would be antidepressant medication which will help counteract the depression seen commonly in PTSD.

A few more therapies that some people recommend are:
Starting certain hobbies like running, mountain climbing or other sports which will help distract the mind
Connecting to other people and building a social circle can also help to overcome PTSD
Avoiding alcohol and coffee
Getting enough sleep
and maintaining a healthy diet can all help fight PTSD.

I hope that I have answered your query. Please post a follow up if you have more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T