Suggest treatment for post radiation colitis

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 71 year old male. In April of 2014 I suffered a heart attack which lead to a stent being inserted. During this period it was discovered I had 3 legends in my left lung which turned out to be cancer. The lower half of my left lung was removed in July 2014. At the time of this operation my kidneys took a bad hit and I ended up in ICU. I had a catheter inserted and this caused chronic bleeding from my bladder It was determined I had Systitis brought about by radium treatment I received in 2010 for Prostrate cancer. I went through many months in hospital trying to stop the bleeding, irrigation, a couple of times in theatre to remove masses of blood clots and no end of syringing blood clots in my hospital bed. This went on for some 8 months and during my time in hospital I contracted 3 or 4 Super bugs. One of them being DIF (bowel). Towards the end of the 8 months I lost 15 kilos in a matter of weeks. I went from 72 Klg to 57 Klg. Today some 9 months after I was discharged from hospital I still only weigh 58 Klg. My appearance is that of a POW, Skin and Bone. I have had regular blood tests which were all good results and also provided a stool specimen which turned out to be all clear. I am having frequent bowel movement, some loose, some formed and nearly always with blood or blood mucus. My gut feeling is I may have a bowel disease (Crohn's) maybe.
xxxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should discuss with a gastroenterologist for further examinations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Based on the data you provided your symptoms are typical for post radiation colitis, which may appear even years after the first radiation. Colitis is a well known complication of radiation and you should discuss with a gastroenterologist for further examinations.

Since you are experiencing frequent bowel movement with blood and mucus you should do the following examinations:
- stool test (includng stool culture for parasite and candida)
- colonoscopy

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu