Suggest treatment for post-polio syndrome

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
hELLO-

i AM 73, DIAGNOSED WITH POST-POLIO SYNDROME, WITH A WEAKENED LEG. I AM AN AVID EXERCISER, AND AM WORRIED THAT I WILL DETERIORATE MY CONDITION BY TOO MUCH EXERCISE. MAY I SAFELY EXERCISE ON AN EXERCISE BIKE FOR 40 MINUTES OR MORE WITH MODERATE TENSION? THANK YOU.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not consume to much energy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for posting your questions here at HCM.

I have read your new question and understand your concerns.

Regarding to exercises to improve your condition after post polio syndrome, first thing to consider is to avoid fatigue and to conserve your energy.

Bike exercise for 40 minuets actually may cause fatigue, so I think you can try shorter periods of exercise with less tension.

It is important to strengthen your muscles without fatiguing them.

Since you are an exerciser you can try less strenuous activities, such as swimming or water aerobics, that you can perform every other day at a relaxed pace.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.