Suggest treatment for post nasal drip

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am constantly having to clear my throat all day long.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

As you may know, your symptom is likely due to post nasal drip of mucus.

Post nasal drip is usually due to an acute infection ( cough/cold) or allergies.

if the symptoms are long term then allergies are the more likely of the two.

Treatment involves: (1) identifying the source if possible. I had a patient who was allergic to bananas, this was determined by allergy testing

If this is possible with your doctor and you can find the exact cause/s then you can limit or eliminate your exposure to the cause

(2)anti histamine decongestant combinations eg zyrtec d, clartitine d, allegra d, benadryl d

(3)continue the topical steroid nasal spray. It can take 2 to 4 weeks of consistent use of spray for it to have an effect, so you have to use it consistently

(4)if there is no improvement and it is not possible to eliminate exposure to the cause, then you may need to consider medications such as singulair or ketotifen

These meds work at different points in allergies and are added when routine meds are not helpful

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions