Suggest treatment for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my face turned very dark also dark under eyes i went to doctor he told it is infection and asked me to use lobate gm i used it and darkness was gone however got pimples on face now left with dark spots when i stop using the cream face is turning dark again
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Avoid LOBATE cream, Send clinical pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for posting on HealthcareMagic.

I appreciate your concern regarding your skin condition and i will try to solve your query in best possible way.

The definitive diagnosis of your condition is difficult to make unless a direct physical examination or review of good quality photographs.

From your history and description, it seems you have got acneiform eruptions and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation secondary to use of LOBATE GM cream.

Acneiform eruption is a skin condition that resemble acne vulgaris. Acne-like eruptions develop as a result of infections, hormonal or metabolic abnormalities and drug reactions (Oral or topical).

Since you have use LOBATE cream which contains very potent steroid clobetasol which as such is not mandated for use on face and it can definitely cause acneiform eruptions. These acneiform eruptions when heal can leave behind dark spots which is called post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.

As for now I would strictly insist you to avoid any further use of LOBATE cream to prevent the condition from worsening.

I insist you to mail you clinical pictures so that I can accurately formulate treatment plan for you.
You can mail the pictures to YYYY@YYYY with the subject titled 'ATTN Dr Hardik Pitroda'.

Thank you and take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
M.D Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 5 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics an retinoids, peels

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank for the photograph.
After review of your photograph, it is very clear that you have developed acneiform eruptions due to use of LOBATE cream and they have healed with hyperpigmentation.
I would suggest you to avoid further use of LOBATE cream.
For acneiform eruptions, I would suggest oral course of oral azithromycin for few weeks.Apply a cream containing antibiotic like clindamycin with nicotinamide twice a day and a gel containing adapalene and benzoyl peroxide at night.
Additionally you can get series of chemical peels from your dermatologist for better treatment and to reduce pigmentation.
Personally I would suggest glycolic acid peel or a combination of salicyclic acid and mandelic acid.
Use a broad spectrum gel based sunscreen beforw going out in sun.
Use a glycolic acid based facewash.
I am sure with the treatment outlined, you will be fine soon.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj