Suggest treatment for portal vein thrombosis and mesentric vein thrombosis

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 2 Dec 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have Portal Vein Thrombosis, mesentric Vein thrombosis, Hyperspleenisium , 0n my right side near my kidney and liver I get constant throbbing pain that lasts for about 10 minutes then goes away, what could be the cause of that pain?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to collateral circulation.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM and thank you for the query.
I understand your concern and would like to help you.
More information is required to know the cause of your symptom.
Please let me know the reason for the thrombosis of the portal and mesenteric veins. Did you have any surgery done? Please upload the test results and the imaging studies done.
Though there are multiple reasons one good possible reason for your symptom is that throbbing pain is usually from excessive pulsation of blood vessels. The thrombosis of the portal system leads to the formation of collateral blood vessels in various areas. One of the sites of such collaterals is superior mesenteric veins to retroperitoneal and lumbar veins to the inferior vena cava. This would be in the region of the kidneys and the liver. Similar collaterals may be found on the left between the splenic vein and left renal vein . The pulsation in these vessels when the flow is more can be the cause of your symptoms.
Other causes will be considered when additional information is provided.
Dr Noble Zachariah