Suggest treatment for popping sensation in the ears

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Well I have a couple questions. One is why is my ear popping every time I hiccup or burp, but there is no pain or feeling? It's only my left ear and it keeps making a pop sound like someone is hitting a bongo. The second is that I have had stomach issues for 4 years now. The doctors have found multiple minor things wrong like fatty liver, bacteria, ulcers, and even took out my gall bladder. The discomfort is still very well there, like burning in my chest (but heart burn medicine doesn't help), nausea, constipation, diarrhea, full feeling even without eating all day, and I believe it may be gastroparesis. Ive been to GI specialists and they haven't found anything. If anything, what do you think it could be and what doesn't I do?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
GI Specialist consultation and further workup is needed!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for the consult. I appreciate your health concerns and can well establish the sensitivity of issues.

I have reviewed your health query about multiple issues. The popping sounds from ear that comes up on hiccups doesn't look due to a major abnormality. The sounds come from eustachian tube connecting the throat and ear. If it is blocked or clogged due to sem reason there should also have been pain due to inflammation. The only workup you need is to consult your ENT Specialist for physical examination of the ear for impacted wax. If needed, he may remove the wax. When you get hiccups, try chewing gum and see if it helps. When taking a bath, use earplugs.

The pain and discomfort in stomach, feeling of fullness are all due to high acid content in stomach that is due to excess secretions of gastric acid. H.Pylori bacterial infection seems to be the cause here and needs a fresh screening test for the same. This bacterial infection leads to stimulation and excess acid secretion in stomach that causes erosive effects on stomach mucosa. Over time Ulcers develop in stomach and small intestine. It is manageable through medications for this infectious agent.

Other possibilities I consider here is dysfunctional valve at the junction of stomach and food pipe (esophagus). This valve normally works as a sphincter to keep the stomach contents from entering the foodpipe upstream. If this valve becomes incompetent, it leads to the symptoms which you are having for long. You need to ask your GI Specialist to go for a fresh Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (a camera assisted test to see inside the upper digestive system). Management goes according to the cause found thereafter. If left untreated it may complicate.

Hope it helps. Feel free to ask me anytime for further queries if any. My quick and direct link is: tinyurl.com/drhanifmd

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D