• question-icon

Suggest treatment for poor weight gain in a child

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Dr, my daughter's weight is 6.9kg as of now and her birth weight as on 5th Aug-16 was 2.6kg. Is it normal? Due to teething in the last 2mnths, she had suffered vomiting and her diet had gone low. Also, I somehow feel her teething order is not correct. She has got upper 3teeth and lower 3teeth, 6 in all.Pls confirm. I have been experiencing a new problem nowadays wit her eating pattern- Wateva I give her she puts her hand in the mouth and removes it. She takes my regular feed.How shud I ensure dt she eats?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Plot the weight and length/height on a growth chart

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking once again on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The weight gain seems to be slightly lower than adequate as the birth weight usually triples by 10-12 months of age. However, I would insist you to google out for a growth chart appropriate for her age and sex and to download and print it. You need to plot the weight and height periodically (at least once every 3 months) to see whether the weight gain is on track. Unless the plotting cuts the percentile lines you need not worry.

The teething order is ok. Initially two of the lower incisors come out followed by two upper incisors. Then another two incisors of upper and lower jaw come out. So, a total of 4 front teeth on each jaw come out. As of now 3 have come. Soon another one on each jaw will come. No need to worry.

It is normal for a child of this age to put everything in her mouth. That is the child's way of 'understanding' things around. Try to keep the things as well as her hands clean. Contaminants can give her loose motion and vomiting and so being careful is the only way.

Regarding feeding, my suggestions are:
* Do not force feed the baby. This will increase the child's apathy towards food. Rather wait for the child to get hungry. At times you may have to wait several hours. Be patient. The urge should be her and not yours.
* Try to avoid any minor feeds between meals. They take the appetite away.
* Restrict the number of times she receives breast feed (if at all) if you want to build upon the semi-solid food intake. Limit breast milk intake to not more than thrice daily.
* Treat the child as a member of family and dine together with her. Even if the child is not eating, make her sit with others while they take their meal.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician