Suggest treatment for poor vision caused due to diabetic retinopathy

Posted on Tue, 14 Apr 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: my uncle lost his eyesight because of blood sugar. Doctors said due to laser operation he has a defect in his eye retina but sight effects are still well. is that possible to change his retina if yes where should he have to go.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not possible to change the retina.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr Dadapeer k an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.
I reviewed your history.
It seems from the history that your uncle has got poor vision because of diabetic retinopathy and its treatment by laser procedure.

I can understand your concerns but there is no procedure to replace the damaged retina.

The only option available is to assess the visual acuity and the level of diabetic retinopathy. After this assessment low visual aids can be used to improve the vision if possible. Hence I advice you to consult your ophthalmologist for this assessment so that we can plan further course of management.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 22 hours later
Thank You so much for Answer my Questions.
And Also my mother have diabetic she checked her sugar levels everyday she also got 7 in the morning and 11 or 12 at nights just wondering which level of diabetics it is. and what should be the diet chart for that?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to check for fasting and postprandial sugar levels.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

In diabetics we need to check the fasting blood sugar levels early in the morning and followed by post prandial sugar levels 2 hours after consuming normal break fast.
Along with the blood sugar levels we need to check HBA1C known as glycosylated hemoglobin levels.
All these three should be within normal levels.

Thank you
With regards

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist