Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
127 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for poor memory in an elderly person

Answered by
Dr. Prasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3343 Questions

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: Hello. My Mom is 83 years old. She is having problems with her memory. She has asked me to find a specialist to take her too. She does not want to discuss this with her general doctor. How do I go about finding her the best doctor possible? I don't even know what kind of a doctor to look for.

Thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Prasad 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neurologist or geriatric specialist...

Detailed Answer:

Memory problems are quite common at this age. If she is able to manage her daily routines without significant support from others, I think she is doing quite well. But since you asked problems with memory are managed by a neurologist. A geriatrician is my second choice specialist in this case.

I am not sure which country / state you belong too. You have few options to find a good doctor.
1. Ask your/her primary physician for a reference. Most doctors are quite happy to give references.
2. Ask your insurance agents for list of neurologist / neurology / memory clinic.
3. Search on the web.

Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on